Planetniles

Where the weather is always mercurial.

Friday, January 13, 2006

Once more into the breach!

Okay back and kicking.

Last year and a big has been rough but I'm back and trying to get a grip on this blog stuff.

There's a part of me which thinks "feh, liber wtf" but there's another part of me that thinks otherwise. Right so what's the plan and what's changed. Well foremost I've quit the FTmb entirely. After the big change-over last year life hit me with a shitty stick. The change was the worst of it and so I tendered my resignation in an unofficial manner by refusing to return at all. I started on writting a proper resignation notice but my collegues there pointed out that the new masters would not permit the dissention it would present. Here's what I wrote.

In the three years since my appointment as a Moderator to the Fortean Times message board I have worked long and hard to keep it free from those, within and without, who would like nothing more to turn it into their own private diorama of bigotry, hatred and bile. It has been a thankless task made all the more difficult by the egotistical fools who seem to think that a couple of cookies on their computer hard drive gave them more say in the running of the message board than the owners and operators to whom the moderators report.

So it perhaps ironical that I am now writing to announce that due to the actions of those owners and operators, Dennis Consumer Division and Wide Area, that I am tendering my resignation as a Moderator. In a single act of gross arrogance and greed Dennis has overturned the security that the Moderators had worked so long to build and maintain; the very thing that once made the Fortean Times message board a byword for intelligent debate and a sanctuary in the otherwise fiery chaos of the internet.

I haven’t said anything earlier as I felt that it’d be disruptive and prevent a rapid return to business as usual. I’m also making this announcement here, rather than on the message board itself, for the obvious reason that the new management won’t permit criticism of them.


Of course all that's moot here and much of it is water under the bridge but it remains and is imortalised here for good or ill. It's also incomplete but I've nothing more to say on the subject. I got involved with the creation of the Cabinet of Wonders but I was quickly sidelined by the my collegues, who probably thought they were helping me, but that didn't stop my sense of isolation from my internet peers.

I got involved in the Dark and Light MMO, going so far as to create a guild, the Circle of Illuminated Actors. However despite recruiting enough members to make it viable it fell by the wayside. Nanowrimo didn't help. I was so desperate to hit my 50k word count I stopped going online. Hit by the silence of its founder the guild members wandered off to other, more active groups. I no longer feel the desire to play Dark and Light, partly due to this and partly due to some of the lore coming out of the official website. Before the guild's domain name expires in the middle of next year the guild's website will be gone and the domain shall not be renewed. Sorry to anyone who hoped otherwise. I'm now a steady player of both City of Heroes and it's dark twin, City of Villians. Despite having a yearning for an epic fantasy MMO I plan to focus my online gameplay on the Co* games.

I'm also more active in my local gaming community, encapsulated by the Otherdeen website. They have a heavy Co* presence in the forms of the Infinity superhero group and The Trinity supervillain group, both on the Union server.

I also plan to put effort into maintaining this Blog and my related one; Chair Leg Of Truth. So look for more activity here.

See ya around.
Niles

1 Comments:

At 1:01 pm, Blogger joealexander54603746 said...

I read over your blog, and i found it inquisitive, you may find My Blog interesting. My blog is just about my day to day life, as a park ranger. So please Click Here To Read My Blog

http://www.juicyfruiter.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home